Wednesday, May 14, 2014

When I go camping I want to get some solitude, but not have to drive too far. I want to ride some trails, climb some rocks, and get in the water. Oh, and I want to see some beautiful nature! These things usually do not happen all at once. I have no trouble finding solitude, but usually it requires a long drive. Mountain bike trails are easy enough to come by in the Ozarks, as well as beautiful scenery. Water sports normally require their own outing, as does climbing. However, I have just discovered the Swiss Army knife of campgrounds! Lake Leatherwood is a city owned campground just outside Eureka Springs, Arkansas. It offers a gorgeous little lake where you can rent a canoe or Kayak, it has outstanding trails, and it even has a couple bouldering routes.




Now understand that much like a Swiss Army knife some of the features don’t have quite the usefulness of others. Their climbing routes could be compared to the 3 inch saw that works really well for cutting pinky size twigs. But I won’t complain. On Miners Rock trail there is one of the most unique rock features I have ever seen. There are no other rocks around except this limestone wave coming out of the ground. It has a dozen lines to boulder on. On my first trip to Lake leatherwood I was very pleasantly surprised that I could ride all day, go for a paddle the next, and then go get pumped on a 45 degree overhang. I hear the fishing is good too. It is a great spot for wildlife photography for all you fellow photographer’s out there.
The facilities do leave a little to be desired. The camping layout was open without tent pads, and only one porta potty for the lower campground. I went camping with my two little girls and we spent a lot of time in the potty. If you don’t mind walking a bit further there is a flush toilet near the rv camping. If you are like me, you can take the stinky bathroom in exchange for fewer crowds. I can’t wait for our next outing to Lake Leatherwood. It is a great spot for people looking to engage in a wide variety of outdoor activities. It is good for family camping and die hard mountain bikers. But most importantly it is not work! Look to Lake Leatherwood for a great weekend escape.


                1303 County Road 204, Eureka Springs, AR 72632 (479) 253-7921

No comments:

Post a Comment