Wednesday, May 7, 2014

“Letting Go” in Richland Creek Wilderness Area.

Richland Creek has always been a location I wanted to check out because of all the great things I’ve heard about its beauty. It is probably the most remote spot in Arkansas, it is hard to find, and it has no maintained trail. The mountains there are very steep which helps create the breath taking waterfalls that punctuate the creek. I had a last minute option to go for a three day backpacking trip so I jumped on the chance to go to Richland Creek for the first time… with my 3 year old and 5 year old... daughters… who love Frozen. 
Mya is a pretty good photographer
My two daughters are pretty outdoorsy, but backpacking is a learned skill. The pack animal mentality does not come to humans naturally. I wanted to get them started early so I thought taking them to a beautiful spot with waterfalls would be a good Idea. I figured by the map and other’s trail descriptions that it would be about a 2.5 mile out and back trip, 5 miles total over 2 nights. I took my new 85 liter Osprey  Aether pack chock full of food, candy, sleeping bags, and more candy. The trip could have not gone better for the girls. They complained much less than I did when I first went backpacking so that is a good start. Richland Creek did not disappoint me with her wild beauty either. The non maintained trail was very easy to follow because of traffic. However, not all went so peachy. 
 
Indie and Mya being themselves 

From what I read, I gathered that we would be crossing two streams. No problem, I have crossed hundreds of Ozark streams that were ankle deep, I can do that. Wrong! It rained 2 inches the day before so I had to cross frigid chest deep streams, carrying my children across one by one. The shallower rapids were moving too fast to risk falling, so I opted for a safer deeper route. I am a stubborn Missouri boy and was not going to be deterred by a small creek.  The first time it was kind of fun, but by the 5th time I had waded into the cold water the new adventure feeling had shriveled off. Yes, I chose shriveled for a reason. On our last night I was pretty tired. I was physically exhausted from carrying 50 pounds of gear with a 3 year old sitting on top of that. I was mentally exhausted from swimming across the creek a dozen times, but most of all I was ready to “Let It Go”.

Richland creek 
I might have the most expensive backpack but it does not have hello kitty on it.

Can you guess what they are singing?
If you do not have a daughter from 3 through 30 years of age you might not know that a girl can repeatedly sing the theme song to their favorite movie an infinite amount of times.  The peace, solitude, and quiet of the outdoors had eluded me on this trip. All due to one catchy tune called “Let It Go”. I think I will engrave those words on my tombstone.  Here lies Aaron Wilcox he finally “Let It Go”.  Even with the ringing in my ears, nature’s medicine is strong. Both girls could not have had more fun! We saw a snake, found a turtle shell, and they saw daddy freeze his butt off (seriously I don’t know If I will be able to have more children). Because I spent good quality time with my girls and they want to return, I can call our first backpacking trip a success. Sometimes when you are taking young kids camping you have to relax and remember to just “let it Go”
Twin falls is the highlight of the trail

3 comments:

  1. Mya IS a wonderful photog!

    Your future tombstone made me laugh out loud.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aaron, that was awesome!!! And, yes, just "Let it go"!! : )
    And "Twin Falls"? How appropriate!!! That should be the highlight! Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey yo! Look at this! I'm super stoked to see you bloggin! Yay!

    ReplyDelete